Activities - Nursing Home/Skilled NursingThe mission of the Activities Department at Pines of Sarasota is to enhance the quality of life for each resident and promote feelings of productivity and life satisfaction. We offer a combination of therapy, purposeful groups, and one-to-one interactions aimed at maintaining both physical and cognitive ability. A staff of nine, led by Kimberly O'Toole who is a Recreational Therapist (CTRS), provides activities based on the needs of the residents and care-plan goals. Community volunteers and professionals enrich the program with art, music, horticulture, visitation, and entertainment.
Our philosophy at Pines is to create a community of residents, families and staff that fosters continuous opportunities for growth by building relationships, pursuing experiences, and sharing memories. This incorporates domestic pet visits, outdoor gardening, indoor plants and children into the daily lives of residents. This type of environment is designed to create true communities in which our elders and other individuals in need of residential care can live life to the fullest extent possible.
- Music therapy is provided weekly by a certified music therapist who specializes in promoting positive interactions among residents as well as concentration and peacefulness for each participant. Pines staff members are active participants in the program and enliven the activity by their participation, encouraging & amusing the residents.
- Daily exercise and movement activities provide opportunities to increase and maintain flexibility and mobility.
- Art classes are offered weekly by local art teachers who specialize in working with nursing home clients. In addition to the long standing Art Expression class that has a fiercely loyal attendance, we are fortunate to have a wonderful program entitled Art without Boundaries that has allowed dozens of Pines residents to realize artistic potential they were unaware they had! Many residents enter their art in the Sarasota County Fair Hobby Show and bring home awards and ribbons!
- Community outings to various cultural activities, local events and restaurants are a special treat that our more active residents look forward to attending.
- Church and spiritual activities catering to various denominations are regularly available and Pines has an in house Chaplain who visits and counsels with residents upon request.
- The monthly Cook 'n Eat program, Adult Education opportunities, Red Hat Society meetings and regular theme tea parties offers residents an opportunity to socialize, be creative, and share skills learned throughout their lives. They also love to share their memories & past experiences in the "Down Memory Lane" program hosted by one of our many wonderful local volunteers.
- Intergenerational activities using various supporting mediums such as music, humor and pets are provided with children from the onsite Child Care and Learning Center, Girl Scouts and many of the local schools. We are also a first choice for many student volunteers wishing to earn credit for Florida Bright Futures opportunities.
- Pet therapy from many certified volunteers and professional groups provides stimulating and soothing interactions between residents and pets.
- Special events and parties are well attended and enjoyed by residents of Pines. Many local professional entertainers routinely visit our campus providing musical performances ranging from jazz to country to classical.
- Games of all sorts including bingo, board and card games and Memory Magic are played by residents, volunteers and visitors. We have an evening group, "The Sunshine Club" that meets regularly to play word games that jog their memories with various mental challenges through the alphabet!
- We are fortunate to have a Horticulture Therapist providing hands on gardening often including our Child Care "gardeners in training". Gardening projects provide great satisfaction to participants.
Laughter Unlimited, a Circus Sarasota "Gem", continues after 10 years to stimulate and rejuvenate the residents here at Pines. World renowned entertainers Chuck Sidlow, Karen Bell and volunteer clowns regularly bring "Laughter Unlimited" to the various units at Pines. The therapeutic humor programs include 1:1 visits, Memories Lost & Found, Men's Club, special events and intergenerational programs including Pines Child Care children.
There is never a dull moment here at Pines. Our staff and volunteers take pleasure as they "Roll & Stroll" residents through the fresh air and sunshine amid 17 acres of natural wooded settings with covered walkways winding throughout the community. Our Selby Gardens designed butterfly garden with gazebo outside the Assisted Living facility provides a lovely retreat.