History of Pines of Sarasota
In the early 1940s concerned citizens became aware of Sarasota's desperate need for a nursing home to care for elderly citizens with poor health and limited incomes. Recognizing this need, the Kiwanis Club of Sarasota voted to accept the awesome responsibility, and in December 1943 the club began raising funds. By March 1948 the members raised $40,000. Land was purchased at 12th Street and Orange Avenue, and two resident halls and a dining room were built.
At that time, The Kiwanis Club elected to turn over the entire property to a newly formed nonprofit corporation, Sarasota Welfare Home, Inc., sponsored by representative citizens of the community. Sarasota Welfare Home, Inc., opened its doors on November 16, 1948.
In 1988, the home's name was changed to Pines of Sarasota, Inc.
Since 1948 Pines has grown from two buildings to a 13-acre campus with 19 buildings, a capacity for 276 residents, and over 300 employees. Pines continues to operate according to its original purpose and is governed by a board of directors that serves without compensation.
Additions to Pines of Sarasota
1989 - Assisted Living Facility with 72 rooms opened its doors.
1990 - Pines of Sarasota Foundation was incorporated as the fund raising arm of Pines.
1991 - A beautiful new resident service center was dedicated.
1993 - The Evalyn Sadlier Jones Child Care and Learning Center opened to community children.
1996 - Alzheimer's & Dementia Care Center was created to offer professionally structured care.
1999 - Admissions were opened to Manatee County residents.
2002 - Expanded its Therapy & Rehabilitation Center and began to offer outpatient services.
2007 - Opens a two-story 122-bed skilled nursing and administration building
2007 - Completely remodeled an existing twenty-two bed unit
2007 - Constructed an ultra-modern Rehabilitation Center
2007 - Opening of Pines Education Institute of S.W. Florida
2008 - Downsize and renovate 85 beds in the Keys Building to 25 all private rooms and increased common area including activities room and IT training facilities
2009 - Open a second Fabulous Finds Thrift Store two blocks south of main campus
2010 - Renovate common areas on all three floors and the main dining room in the Assisted Living Residences
2011 - Establish Manser Family Outpatient Rehabilitation Center
2011 - Complete renovation inside and out of the campus Fabulous Finds original thift store opened originally in the 1960s
2011 - Renovate and upgrade front entrance to 17 acre campus